Dog Bite Attorneys in Miami
Fighting for Victims of Animal Attacks
Each year, thousands of people are bitten or attacked by dogs. Pet owners have a responsibility to control their dogs. Florida law gives victims the right to recover compensation for medical bills, future medical care, pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and lost income.
At Julian Rudolph Law, our Miami dog bite lawyer helps our clients fight for justice as we pursue compensation for the damages caused by animal bites or attacks.
If you or a loved one was injured by a dog, call (305) 306-1968 to set up an appointment for a free consultation.
Dog Bites Cause Injury & Infection
Dog bites can cause serious injury to adults and children, including scarring and permanent disfigurement. In addition to the physical injuries and emotional trauma, dog bites often become infected. Some of the infections caused by dog bites can be extremely serious or life-threatening.
Animal bites may become infected with bacteria and viruses that include:
- Capnocytophaga bacteria
- Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Pasteurella bacteria
Florida is a comparative negligence state, which means that individual responsibility is considered in accident and injury cases. In some dog bite cases, the victim may be found to be partially liable – for example, if they were taunting the dog. In these cases, compensation may be reduced according to the degree of liability that is assigned to the victim. For example, if you were found to be 20% liable, your compensation award would be reduced by 20%.
Leash Laws in Miami-Dade County
While Florida does not have a state-mandated leash law, it is unlawful for dog owners in Miami-Dade County to allow their dogs to freely roam outside of their private property. Local ordinance requires all dogs to be controlled and restrained with a properly-fitting leash while on public property, including public streets, sidewalks, school grounds, beaches, and parks. Leash violations can be punished by fines up to $150. According to the Florida Department of Health, 32 percent of reported dog bites involve dogs that are roaming freely without a leash off the owner's property.
What to Do if Bitten By a Dog
If you have been bitten by a dog, be sure to do the following:
- Wash the wound: If you are able to perform first aid, wash the wound with soap and water and apply gentle pressure to flush out any bacteria that may be present. Lightly bandage the wound to control the bleeding. Try to get photographs of your injuries before they are bandaged so you have proof of the extent of harm suffered.
- Seek medical help: Always seek medical attention after a dog bite, especially if the dog that bit you is unfamiliar or if your injuries are severe. Dogs carry high levels of bacteria in their saliva, making bites highly susceptible to infection. Your doctor may administer a tetanus or rabies booster to help ward off infection.
- Exchange information: Just like you would after a car accident, exchange contact information with the dog's owner. Be sure to get their name, phone number, address, the dog's name, the dog's breed, and if you can, its vaccination history. Get the contact information of any witnesses to the attack as well.
- Report the attack: Contact your local animal control agency and file an official incident report. This will help to create a written record of the attack as well as help to prevent future attacks from occurring.
Liability for Dog Attacks in Florida
Under Florida law, dog owners are responsible when their dogs bite someone in a public place or even on private property as long as the victim is on the property lawfully. The law applies to all dogs, regardless of viciousness or any prior bites.
If you were injured in a dog attack, you need an experienced dog bite attorney in Miami to advise you of your rights and fight for your best interests. Julian Rudolph Law is the firm that can help you achieve your goals.
Awesome, and very beneficial.- Jose Saavedra
We were made to feel like family.- Eddie A.
Julian is a very honest and straightforward guy. I would recommend him anytime.- Noel N.
Before you hire an attorney read this!- RG
To say that we were satisfied with Attorney Rudolph’s services is an understatement.- Ruth M.